Saturday 4 September 2010

Sunny Ayrshire - Part 2

On our second morning we woke up to an overcast day.  Whilst deciding what to do with our day we had a ponder over what Ayrshire is famous for and we came up with  Robert Burns and, uhm, Robert Burns.  So guess what we did? 



After my daily fix of Jeremy Kyle (I'm surely not the only one?) we ventured to Alloway, just outside Ayr, and went to the Burns Heritage Park.  Whilst the park was simple enough to find, there's currently building work taking place for a new museum, which meant the 'new' car park was full and everything was badly signposted.  Not being a huge Burns fan in the first place (although I'm not sure if you're allowed to admit that if you're Scottish; feels like commiting treason or similar) and having less patience than a crocodile with toothache, that was enough to make me just a wee bit snappy.

But anyhoo, we set off around the park which was pleasant enough and last but not least, I got to spend money in the gift shop! 

The Little One & Daddy with Brig o' Doon hiding in the background


Burns monumment                                                             Brig o' Doon
Auld Kirk Alloway


In the afternoon we ventured a little further South and stopped by Girvan, via Dunure and the Electric Brae which only goes to show I'm either very hard to please or a bit thick, as I didn't get it atall... neither did the Other Half so I'm guessing we stopped at the wrong place or on the wrong side of the road or something, hoohum... before heading back to Ayr.



                                                                                A hazy Ailsa Craig   



The following day the weather was gorgeous, so we made the most of it by venturing to Ayr, followed by a pit stop in Troon and then spending the afternoon in Eglinton County park.

The Little One protecting shading himself from the
sun (notice the right foot holding the hood)



Then on our final day, we stopped by Dean Castle Country Park in Kilmarnock on our way home to make the most of yet another gorgeous sunny day and for the Little One to enjoy looking at some animals in the Pets Corner.


Taking in every word

Then before you could say, "Sunny Ayrshire" it was Friday evening and we were back home from our week in Ayr.  I fear I truly must be getting old, as all I could think about was how pleased I'd be to get to sleep in my own bed again!



No comments:

Post a Comment